The UC Health Weight Loss Center is offering a series of free informational seminars to people interested in learning more about weight loss and surgical options available. Presented by Brad Watkins, MD, a UC Health bariatric surgeon and assistant professor at the UC College of Medicine, the seminar will address
- Roadblocks to weight loss: family history, stress and emotional eating
- The dangers of obesity: diabetes, high blood pressure and other related conditions
- Why choose weight loss surgery? What is involved? Who is a candidate?
- Which surgical procedure is best for you? What are the available options?
- Changing your mindset – making healthier choices
Watkins will give detailed information on the many surgical techniques available including, the laparoscopic adjustable gastric band procedure and the newest minimally invasive surgery for weight loss—"GPS” or gastric plication surgery, a procedure than reduces the size of the stomach without cutting or removing any of the patient’s stomach.