The College of Medicine Office of Faculty Affairs and Development, Office of Research, and UC LEAF are pleased to present the second lecture in the 2014-15 "Ready, Set, Go!" series.
Heidi Kloos, PhD, associate professor in McMicken College of Arts and Sciences, and Karen Faaborg, professor emeritus and LEAF AAC chair, will facilitate a session titled "Setting the Tone of Your Lab & Personnel Conflict Management."
- Identify a managerial style consistent with your personality and skills
- Integrate lab policies, ethics, and operations into an identifiable lab culture that has a recognizable personality and creates a happy and successful environment
- Integrate and practice professionalism in all aspects of lab conduct including authenticating the veracity of data
- Describe how to manage the financial aspects of the lab
- Formulate a 5-year strategic plan for their laboratory
- Recognize when the lab is becoming dysfunctional and formulate intervention strategies
- Create a laboratory that maintains morale and demonstrates cohesiveness
- Effectively manage conflict and other personnel issues
- Acquire skills to fire personnel
- Plan strategies for project management
Ready, Set, Go! is a nine-course series of programs, facilitated by an interdisciplinary team of research faculty, and is designed to provide new faculty members with the competence and skills to set up and maintain a successful research laboratory or clinical research program.