Neil MacKinnon, PhD
James L. Winkle College of Pharmacy
136 E Health Professions Building
3225 Eden Avenue
Tel: 513 – 558-3784
Fax: 513 – 558-4372
To arrange interviews or learn more about the James L. Winkle College of Pharmacy, please contact Angela Koenig directly at 513-558-4625. After hours, call the on-call public information officer at 513-558-4553.
UC's James L. Winkle College of Pharmacy, one of the oldest pharmacy colleges in the United States, offers both professional practice (PharmD) and graduate (MS and PhD) degrees. Supported by an active research faculty, the college provides students with an opportunity to develop their individual skills. Graduates of the college have a 100 percent placement rate prior to graduation, and are highly sought after by professional and pharmaceutical employers. The most recent class of PharmD graduates achieved a 98 percent passing grade on the National Pharmacy Licensure Examination (NABPLEX).
The Cincinnati College of Pharmacy (CCP) was founded by the Cincinnati Pharmaceutical Association (CPA) by an Act of Ohio Legislators on March 23, 1850. This Act established the first pharmacy college west of the Allegheny Mountains and the fifth in the United States.
From 1850 to 1949 CCP was independently operated by the CPA and private ownership. College leadership recommended CCP close in 1950 because of tightening accreditation standards.
The vision of a new dean and financial support of alumni and friends of CCP facilitated the transfer of the college to the University of Cincinnati in September 1954.
The programs the college offers has changed over the years as well. Prior to 1939 certificates were conferred. Following that, a four-year BS program was offered which extended to five years in 1960. In 1969, a post-BS PharmD program was initiated. In the early 70s faculty wanted to strengthen the BS and graduate programs and increase extramural support for the college, therefore, they mandated an entry level PharmD program. A four-year, entry level PharmD program was implemented in 2000. The BS program ended in 2002. Several new MS/PhD programs have been established at the college, including one of the first national master’s programs in drug development and cosmetic science distance learning.
The college was renamed the James L. Winkle College of Pharmacy June 6, 2007, in honor of a generous benefactor who pledged $10 million from his estate or trust.
Joseph Kowalewski, PhD, 1954-1970
Arthur Glasser, PhD, 1970-1984
Victor Warner, PhD, 1984-1996
Daniel Acosta, PhD, 1996-2011
William Fant, PharmD, 2012-2013
Neil MacKinnon, PhD, 2013-present
Current research within the college includes pharmacoeconomics, cancer, skin and dermatology, drug penetration, drug delivery technology, cosmetic science, cardiovascular and infectious diseases, and neuropharmacology, just to name a few. Resources for research are almost $1.8 million.