To arrange interviews or learn more about buildings at UC's Academic Health Center, please contact the Academic Health Center Public Relations Office at 513-558-4553.
Albert H. Vontz Center for Molecular Studies
The Vontz Center for Molecular Studies (Vontz Center) was designed by Frank O. Gehry and named in honor of the late Albert H. Vontz, a Cincinnati businessman and UC alumnus who gave $5 million toward its construction. Vontz participated in the groundbreaking ceremonies in 1996, as well as the weeklong festivities for the opening in 1999. He died in 2002, leaving behind a lasting legacy for medical research inside a work of art.
Gehry's first all-brick building, the Vontz Center stands as a 360-degree sculpture, set off by a beautiful green space of sculpted grassy mounds and terraces. Light floods through expansive windows into every space. To many who work at and visit the Academic Health Center, this building represents the entrepreneurial spirit at the University of Cincinnati—encouraging faculty and staff to develop innovative solutions to complex problems.
View a photograph of the Vontz Center
Schedule a tour
Center for Academic and Research Excellence (CARE)/Crawley Building
The CARE/Crawley Building is about collaboration in a setting where scientists and students can interact outside the lab or classroom and exchange knowledge.
The striking exterior design encourages innovation, inspiring students and faculty toward new approaches in research. Meanwhile, the nine-story atrium bathes the interior in natural light, radiating warmth and openness.
Opened in 2008, the CARE/Crawley Building provides an ideal setting for researchers, educators and clinicians as they seek answers to the health-related problems facing us today.
The CARE/Crawley Building provides 240,000 square feet of new space on UC’s medical campus, including lab, research, teaching and library facilities. It creates an open, urban-like setting, to encourage interactivity and a sense of collegial community.
Expert patient care at UC led Cincinnati native Edith J. Crawley to invest in the education and research mission at the university. Her forward-thinking gift supports the creation of a research center for eye disease in older adults and a scholarship fund for students, residents and fellows involved in vision research.
In 2009, the CARE/Crawley Building was awarded LEED Gold certification, emblematic of excellence in sustainable building practices.
STUDIOS Architecture planned and designed the building in collaboration with Harley Ellis Devereaux. Erik Sueberkrop, a UC alumnus, STUDIOS Architecture principal, and lead designer on the project, won the Chicago Athenaeum American Architecture Award for the building design in 2002.
Read more about the CARE/Crawley Buidling
Take a video tour
Schedule an in-person tour
UC Reading Campus
In 2001, the University of Cincinnati Academic Health Center received a gift of land and facilities from Aventis Pharmaceuticals—a 360,000-square-foot facility in suburban Reading. In today’s market, this donation would be worth about $100 million. This gift set in motion a two-year, $44 million renovation of the vacant Aventis building. Out of that gift, which saved UC an estimated $125 million and one to two years of time necessary to build an equivalent facility, the UC Reading Campus (formerly the Genome Research Institute) was born.
The Metabolic Diseases Institute is the largest research program based at the UC Reading Campus. Scientists wtih the Metabolic Diseases Institute have attracted attention for studies on obesity and metabolic disorders, cardiovascular disease and cancer.
View a photograph of the Reading Campus
Hastings L. and William A. French Building
Commonly referred to as French East, the Hastings L. and William A. French Building houses UC's College of Allied Health Sciences. French East—formerly the Shriners Burns Institute—is home to one of UC's fastest-growing colleges and houses a food lab for nutrition science students and the university's new canine audiology clinic.
View a photograph of French East
Joseph F. Kowalewski Hall
Known as the Health Professions Building until June 2015, Kowalewski Hall honors the former dean (1949 - 1970) of the College of Pharmacy. Kowalewski guided the merger of the college, now called the James L. Winkle College of Pharmacy, with the University of Cincinnati in 1954. The building opened in 1918 as the home of the UC College of Medicine. A $27 million renovation project on the building began in 2015.
View a photograph of Kowalewski Hall
Medical Sciences Building
The Medical Sciences Building (MSB), built in 1974, has long been home to UC's College of Medicine. The MSB, connected via a glass atrium to the CARE/Crawley Building, houses College of Medicine laboratories and office space as well as Kresge Auditiorum. The dean's suite has been relocated to the CARE/Crawley Building.
The MSB houses the majority of medical and graduate student classroom space. The medical school bookstore and Donald C. Harrison Health Sciences Library span the space between the MSB and CARE/Crawley building. The MSB is currently undergoing extensive renovation.
View a photograph of the Medical Sciences Building
Built in 1968 by architect Woodie Garber, Procter Hall is home to the UC College of Nursing. The building, named after William Cooper Procter, a benefactor and grandson of one of the founders of the Procter & Gamble Co., serves as the gateway to the East Campus. Procter Hall features Garber's unique modern-style architecture, including a large circular staircase made of steel with oak treads in the interior of the building. In 2011-2012, it underwent extensive exterior renovations that included a complete facade replacement and a "green" roof.
View a photograph of Procter Hall
Wherry Hall, which is physically connected to the Health Professions Building, is home to the James L. Winkle College of Pharmacy. The building was designed in 1959 by Cincinnati firm Kruckmeyer and Strong. It is scheduled for replacement, with working beginning in spring of 2015.
View a photograph of Wherry Hall
The Kettering Laboratory was completed in December 1930 as the first university research unit created for the scientific investigation of occupational and environmental health problems. Initially named the Kettering Laboratory of Applied Physiology, the building was named in honor of Charles Kettering, the head of General Motors Research Laboratory in Dayton, Ohio. A second building was added in 1949 and another wing added in 1965 and dedicated as Robert E. Kehoe Hall after the University of Cincinnati researcher who formed an interdisciplinary research team in the 1920s to investigate the health effects of lead and was a pioneer in the field of occupational medicine. A final wing was completed in 1992. The building, which today totals 191,408 gross square feet, houses laboratory and office space for the College of Medicine’s department of environmental health. The building is currently undergoing a $4.82 million renovation which will renovate 13,265 square feet of laboratories and related space and is estimated to be completed in July 2013.
View a photograph of Kettering Laboratory