Cincinnati—Poisoning accidents can occur in the home, the workplace,
outdoors,and any location where potentially toxic substances are used.
The Drug and Poison Center (DPIC) of Greater Cincinnati reminds us of
the following tips to prevent poisonings:
- Keep all medications out of reach of children and pets.
grooming and skin products, glue, correction fluid, rubber cement, and
cleaning supplies can be dangerous if swallowed or inhaled.
- Some house plants are poisonous, so be sure to keep them out of reach of small children and pets.
- Car care products, paints, solvents, and pesticides stored in a basement or garage are often poisonous.
is the regional poison control center for southwest Ohio and the drug
abuse crisis intervention and prevention agency for Greater Cincinnati
and northern Kentucky residents. DPIC is affiliated with Children's
Hospital Medical Center and the University of Cincinnati Medical
Center. The center is staffed with specially trained, nationally
certified poison information specialists with various health care
backgrounds including nursing and pharmacy.
The DPIC hotline is
available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. DPIC experts say, "Make
every week poison prevention week. Be prepared. Poison proof your home
and attach the Poison Control Center's number on your telephone in case
of an emergency." DPIC information is also available on the internet
under UC Medical Center's consumer information site at
www.NetWellness.org. The DPIC hotline number is (513) 558-5111.