The Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award, presented by the Arnold P. Gold Foundation, recognizes the value of humanism in the delivery of care to patients and their families.
This annual award is presented to the UC faculty member who best demonstrates the foundation's ideals of outstanding compassion in the delivery of care and respect for patients, their families and health care colleagues, as well as demonstrated clinical excellence.
Nominations for one faculty member are being sought at this time.
Criteria for nominees include:
- Consistently demonstrates compassion and empathy in the delivery of patient care.
- Serves as a role model-illustrates professional behavior by example.
- Is approachable and accessible to students.
- Welcomes opportunities for teaching and one-on-one mentorships with students.
- Exhibits enthusiasm and skill in professional and personal interactions with students.
- Shows respect to others.
- Demonstrates cultural sensitivity in working with patients and family members of diverse backgrounds.
- Displays effective communication and listening skills.
- Understands patients’ need for interpretation of complex medical diagnoses and treatments and makes an effort to ensure patient comprehension.
- Is sensitive to the psychological well-being of patients.
- Effectively identifies emotional concerns of patients and family members.
- Engenders trust and confidence.
- Adheres to professional and ethical standards.
- Is committed to reflection and objective self-evaluation of his/her skills.
- Displays competence in scientific endeavors.
This year’s awardee will be recognized at the College of Medicine Honors Day on May 18, 2013.
The recipient becomes a member of the Gold Humanism Honor Society, has the opportunity to attend biennial conferences and events on sustaining humanism in their practice and will be presented with a certificate and monetary prize.
The deadline for letters of nomination is Thursday, Feb. 28. Letters can be directed to Dr. Laura L. Malosh, Assistant Dean, College of Medicine, ML 0552, 231 Albert Sabin Way, PO Box 670552, Cincinnati, OH 45267-0552. Letters can also be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.