Seventeen Greater Cincinnati nurses were recognized for delivering exceptional patient care during the University of Cincinnati’s 21st annual Florence Nightingale Awards for Excellence in Nursing.
The event was held Thursday, April 25, at the Hyatt Regency Cincinnati. A reception at the retailer Saks Fifth Avenue kicked off the awards ceremony.
The Florence Nightingale Awards recognizes nurses throughout the region for delivering exceptional patient care. At this year’s event, seven nurses received the Florence Nightingale Awards for Excellence in Nursing, which includes a bronze bust of Florence Nightingale, the founder of modern nursing, and a $1,000 monetary award. Ten other finalists received the Dean's Award, comprising a plaque and a $400 award.
"When I was 6 years old sitting on my grandmother’s porch wearing my aunt’s brand new nurse’s cap, I told her I wanted to be a nurse just like her. Somehow I knew this was the career that God wanted me to have; and to this day, I will tell you, I don’t know what I would do if I was not a nurse,” said Jennifer Lemmink, RN, University of Cincinnati Medical Center trauma told an audience of over 500 attendees upon receipt of her Nightingale Award.
A total of 240 nominations were submitted into this year’s competition. Winners were selected by the College of Nursing’s Board of Advisors. The Nightingale event’s three major sponsors for 2013 were University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center and Mercy Health Partners.
The college’s Dean Greer Glazer, PhD, served as master of ceremonies.
"After seeing the quality of these award recipients, I realize how fortunate we are to be a part of health care in Cincinnati,” said Glazer. "The level of commitment and competency that these nurses exemplify is exactly what is needed to transform health care both locally and globally.”
The 2013 Nightingale winners are:
Nightingale Award Recipients
· John Bendele, VA Medical Center
· Jennifer Lemmink, University of Cincinnati Medical Center
· Jamie Meyer, The Christ Hospital
· Stacie Nance, St. Elizabeth Healthcare
· Rommel Padillo, Mercy Health Fairfield
· Jane Swaim, St. Elizabeth Healthcare
· Sr. Carole Temming, Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish
Dean's Award Recipients
· Peggy Brooks, Oncology Hematology Care
· Lynn Brown, Northern Kentucky University
· Michelle Daniels, Elm Street Health Center
· Christina Davenport, Drake Center
· Maria Koegel, VA Medical Center
· Sr. Kay Kramer, St. Elizabeth Healthcare
· Jonathan Ramos, VA Medical Center
· Anne Wainio, VA Medical Center
· Jessica Wiles, University of Cincinnati Medical Center
· Sheree Young, Atrium Medical Center