The School of Social Work at the College of Allied Health Sciences will hold a "Professional Development Day for Social Workers," from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 8, at Tangeman University Center Great Hall, 465.
School of Social Work students, faculty, staff, alumni, field instructors and members of the UC community are invited.
Melissa Bilancini and Adrienne Gavula from the Ohio ACLU will discuss issues such as:
- Why social workers need to be involved – and their valuable position as bridges between clients and policy-makers
- Determining who the right decision-maker is for your issue
- How to find your legislators - Ways to take action – and the benefits of these different actions
- Use of seclusion rooms
- Drug testing of welfare recipients
Danielle Smith and Dorothy Martindale from the NASW Ohio Chapter will discuss issues such as:
- Social work opportunities in the future
- What are the social work employment implications of the Affordable Care Act?
- Social work jobs in Ohio – an overview
- Advocacy 101 – how can we advocate when we are all so busy?
- Student loan forgiveness for social workers – what is happening?
- 8:30-9 a.m. Welcome and Registration
- 9 a.m. to noon ACLU Workshop (3 CEUs available)
- Noon-1 p.m. Lunch Break
- 1- 3 p.m. NASW Workshop (2 CEUs available)
Continuing education credits are available.