Nominations are now being accepted for the Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award, presented by the Arnold P. Gold Foundation.
Each year, this award is bestowed upon a College of Medicine faculty member who best demonstrates the foundationís ideals of outstanding compassion in the delivery of care as well as demonstrated clinical excellence.
The recipient of the Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award is inducted into the Gold Humanism Honor Society at the Recognition and Induction Ceremony in May. Later that month the recipient is recognized at the Honors Day Ceremony and featured as the keynote speaker at the White Coat Ceremony in August. The winner receives a printed certificate and $1,000 prize.
Nominees will be asked to submit application materials and the Gold Selection Committee will determine the winner.
Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award recipients should demonstrate the following qualities:
- Consistently demonstrates compassion and empathy in the delivery of patient care.
- Serves as a role model-illustrates professional behavior by example.
- Approachable and accessible to students.
- Welcomes opportunities for teaching and one-on-one mentorships with students.
- Exhibits enthusiasm and skill in professional and personal interactions with students.
- Shows respect to others.
- Demonstrates cultural sensitivity in working with patients and family members of diverse backgrounds.
- Displays effective communication and listening skills.
- Understands patientsí need for interpretation of complex medical diagnoses and treatments and makes an effort to ensure patient comprehension.
- Sensitive to the psychological well-being of patients.
- Effectively identifies emotional concerns of patients and family members.
- Engenders trust and confidence.
- Adheres to professional and ethical standards.
- Committed to reflection and objective self-evaluation of his/her skills.
- Displays competence in scientific endeavors.
For more information, contact assistant dean Laura Malosh at email@example.com or 513-558-2143.