|FEATURED: AHC News
Read Academic Health Center news in Featured, the weekly e-newsletter from the public relations office.
Sign up to receive it: email@example.com
|More Ways to Connect With Us
Health Care Heroes
UC Highlighted in Business Courier’s Health Care Heroes
The Cincinnati Business Courier has selected several individuals from the College of Medicine and UC Health as finalists for the 2012 Health Care Heroes awards, as well as selecting George Strike, chair of the UC Health board, as the 2012 recipient of the Health Care Heroes Lifetime Achievement Award.
Strike was one of the principal founders of the Health Alliance of Greater Cincinnati in 1995 and one of three trustees who led the creation of UC Health. He is a board member and board chair of University Hospital and has served previously on the Drake Center board and as chair of the UC Board of Trustees.
Health Care Heroes finalists from UC include:
- Community outreach category: Leah Casuto, MD, Lindner Center of HOPE (department of psychiatry and behavioral neuroscience); Ruby Crawford-Hemphill, University Hospital; Michael Lyons, MD, emergency medicine
- Innovator category: Jed Hartings, PhD, neurosurgery; Punam Malik, MD, pediatrics; Olivier Rixe, MD, PhD, hematology oncology
- Manager category: Nancy Barone, University Hospital; Thomas Boat, MD, College of Medicine; Barbara Tobias, MD, family and community medicine
- Provider category: Ronald Levin, MD, pediatrics; Edward Richards, MD, obstetrics-gynecology
Daniel Drake Medal
Nominations Sought for Daniel Drake Medal
The Daniel Drake Medal is the highest recognition the College of Medicine can bestow on its living alumni, present faculty or former faculty. Two awards will be made in 2012 to living individuals who have been associated with the College of Medicine, now or in the past.
Nominees for the first award will be evaluated on the basis of outstanding achievements in biomedical science as evidenced by major significant contributions to medical research. Nominees for the other will represent a distinguished career as a clinician-teacher.
Until Jan. 31, 2012, members of the full-time faculty, the alumni, the emeriti, past Daniel Drake medalists and former associates of the college are invited to submit nominations. Selected nominees will be notified in February.
›› Click here for the nomination form
Environmental Health research
Center for Environmental Genetics Grants Available
The Center for Environmental Genetics is accepting applications for Pilot Projects and Career Development awards to support innovative research with a multidisciplinary foundation that can use CEG facilities and services. Applications must be received by 4:30 p.m., Monday, March 5, 2012.
Awards are available in five categories, including a new Community Engagement in Research mechanism to support environmental health research conducted in partnership with a community partner. For more information on the community engagement award, email Erin.Haynes@uc.edu.
For more details on the awards visit eh.uc.edu/ceg.
Doarn Appointed Executive Secretary of ISS Board
Charles Doarn, research professor of family and community medicine, was officially appointed by NASA to serve as the executive secretary of the Multilateral Medical Policy Board for the International Space Station.
In this position, Doarn will work with the senior medical officers of the five international partners on the board, including NASA, the Canadian Space Agency, the European Space Agency, the Japanese Space Agency and the Russian Space Agency.
The International Virtual e-Hospital (IVeH), which Doarn is the executive director of, recently was recognized by the Utilization Review Accreditation Commission (URAC) and the Care Continuum Alliance for its international heath activities. IVeH received an International Community Health award for its work in telehealth in the Balkans.
Hoxworth Blood Center
UC Health Winter Blood Drive Dec. 20
The UC Health-University of Cincinnati Physicians annual winter blood drive for Hoxworth Blood Center will be held Tuesday, Dec. 20, 2011.
Appointments can be made at the following locations and times by calling 513-558-1616. Walk in donations are also accepted.
- UC Health Physicians Office–West Chester: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- UC Health Physicians Office–Clifton: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Victory Parkway: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
All donors will receive a free Hoxworth blanket and be entered to win gift cards to Dewey’s and Graeter’s.
UC Academic Health Center
Upcoming Lectures and Seminars
- Hematology Oncology Special Seminar Dec. 20: Nadia Dahmane, PhD, from the Wistar Institute, will discuss "Transcriptional regulation of brain growth and cancer,” at 1:30 p.m. in Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center Location S, Room 7.125.
- Surgical Grand Rounds Dec. 21: Alexander J. Bondoc, MD, chief resident, general surgery, will discuss, "Is the Liver Too Big to Fail? Implications of Co-morbid Hepatic Failure in General Surgery” at 8 a.m. in the Surgical Amphitheater.
- Procter & Gamble Scientific Lectureship Series Jan 5: The Department of Dermatology will host Mario Lacouture, MD, associate professor of dermatology at Cornell University and an associate member of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City, for a lecture titled, "The Superficial Side of Cancer Therapies: Dermatologic Adverse Events,” at 10 a.m. in the Heaton Conference Center, Room G344, Hoxworth Building.
UC Academic Health Center Public Relations and Communications Office University Hall, Suite 620 | PO Box 670550 | Cincinnati, OH 45267-0550 Phone: 513-558-4553
Fax: 513-558-2910 Web: www.healthnews.uc.edu | E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org