|FEATURED: AHC News
Read Academic Health Center news in Featured, the weekly e-newsletter from the public relations office.
Sign up to receive it: firstname.lastname@example.org
|More Ways to Connect With Us
UC Launches Online Research Directory
The UC Office of Research has launched a new online research directory designed to increase collaboration across all areas of research and scholarly activity across UC, affiliated institutions and industry partners.
Systems and information accessed by the directory include:
- People information from the HR database.
- Grant information from the COEUS application.
- Information from the patent database.
- Publication information from Scopus, SciVerse, RefWorks, Endnote and PubMed.
Faculty and staff are encouraged to review and share the new directory, as well as provide feedback as the project will undergo continuous improvement.
Questions should be directed to Dawn O’Neill at email@example.com or 513-558-6565.
›› For More Information
Fourth-Year Students Elected into Alpha Omega Alpha
Twenty students in the Class of 2014 have been elected into medical honor society Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) for high academic standing, leadership, professionalism and a commitment to service.
They will be recognized alongside the five students elected after their third year at the AOA Banquet on Friday, Nov. 1, at the Phoenix, downtown Cincinnati.
Current AOA members are encouraged to cast their votes for faculty, resident and alumni inductees. Faculty, residents and alumni up for election have demonstrated a high level of scholarly achievement and important professional contributions.
Votes are due Monday, Sept. 16. Email completed ballots to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 513-558-1100.
›› 2013 AOA ballot
Submissions Open for Research Week 2013 Scientific Poster Session
UC Health and the University of Cincinnati Academic Health Center are partnering this year for Research Week 2013, Oct. 21-25. Poster submissions are now being accepted for the week’s All-Star Scientific Poster Session, held 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 24, in the CARE/Crawley Atrium.
Posters must have been presented at a regional, national or international meeting in the past 12 months, or may be generated from an oral session presented in the past 12 months.
The event is limited to 120 posters and entries will be accepted on a first come-first served basis, with only one submission for each lead author.
To submit a poster, complete the Research Week Poster Submission form or see more information online.
Manoocher Soleimani, MD
Soleimani Appointed Internal Medicine Associate Chair for Research
Manoocher Soleimani, MD, James F. Heady Professor of Medicine and head of the division of nephrology and hypertension, has been appointed as associate chair for basic and translational research in the Department of Internal Medicine. Melanie Cushion, PhD, previously served in this role.
Soleimani will be involved in advancing translational research in hypertension through the creation of a university and systemwide program focused on this condition. He is an internationally recognized investigator and nephrologist with more than 170 publications on his research in electrolyte balance and blood pressure regulation.
Charuhas Thakar, MD, associate professor, will take over as director of nephrology and hypertension on an interim basis.
Thakar is chief of the renal section at the Cincinnati Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center and focuses his research on clinical, translational and health outcomes research in acute kidney injury.
Hines Elected President of Medical Illustrators Association
Tonya Hines, art director for the UC Department of Neurosurgery and Mayfield Clinic, has been elected president of the Association of Medical Illustrators, an international nonprofit organization dedicated to the advancement of science and medicine through visual media.
Hines, a board-certified medical illustrator, has won numerous honors for illustrations and patient education. She specializes in the illustration of neuroanatomy, brain and spine surgery, otolaryngology and neuroradiology.
Friess to Present at Pediatrics Conference
Fourth-year medical student Melanie Friess has been invited to present her research at the American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference, held Oct. 26-29 in Orlando, Fla.
Friess will give an oral presentation of her abstract, "Quality of Life in Children with Cardiomyopathy,” which will also be published in the Congenital Heart Disease Journal.
She worked with Angela Lorts, MD, assistant professor of pediatrics, and John Jefferies, MD, associate professor of pediatrics and director of advanced heart failure and cardiomyopathy at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center.
Junior Faculty: Apply for the BIRCWH K12 Development Award
The Center for Clinical and Translational Science and Training is now accepting letters of intent for the BIRCWH (Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women’s Health) K12 career development award.
The BIRCWH K12 program provides a mentored research and career development experience in research leading toward an independent interdisciplinary scientific career that will benefit the health of women. One award is anticipated in the current cycle. Applicants must have a UC faculty appointment.
Letters of Intent are due by 5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 27. See the request for applications for instructions and format. Click here for complete details.
Questions? Email email@example.com or call 513-803-1044.
Upcoming Lectures and Seminars
- Physiology Seminar Sept 10: Susanne Wells, PhD, associate professor of pediatrics, will discuss, "The Fanconi anemia pathway: repairing the gap between DNA damage and squamous cell carcinoma,” at 4 p.m. in MSB 4051.
- Transplant Grand Rounds Sept. 10: E. Steve Woodle, MD, and Nicole Ejaz, PharmD, will discuss kidney transplantation at 4 p.m. in MSB 3051.
- Otolaryngology Grand Rounds Sept. 11: Sid Khosla, MD, Peter Lenz, MD, and Tom Keriakes, MD, will discuss, "Challenging Cases in Cough,” at 7 a.m. in MSB E-351.
- Neurology Grand Rounds Sept. 11: Simona Ferioli, MD, department of neurology and rehabilitation medicine, will discuss subarachnoid hemorrhage at 8 a.m. in MSB E-351.
- Surgical Grand Rounds Sept. 11: Michael Edwards, MD, Christian R. Holmes Professor of Surgery and Chairman, will give the State of the Department Address at 9 a.m. in the Surgical Amphitheater.
- Procter & Gamble Scientific Lectureship Series Sept. 12: The UC Department of Dermatology will host James Elder, MD, PhD, for his lecture, "Genetics of Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis,” at 10 a.m. in the Heaton Conference Center (Room G344) located on the ground level of the Hoxworth Building.
- Epidemiology & Biostatistcs Seminar Sept. 12: M.B. Rao, PhD, professor of environmental health, will present, "The International Year of Statistics: 2013, A Tribute to R.A. Fisher,” at noon in Kehoe Auditorium, Kettering Lab.
- Cancer Biology Seminar Sept. 12: Harinder Singh, PhD, professor of pediatrics and Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center director of immunobiology, will present, "Gene Regulatory Networks and Chromatin Dynamics Orchestrating Cellular Differentiation Programs Within the Immune System,” at noon in Rieveschl Auditorium, Vontz Center for Molecular Studies
- Translational Cancer Research Seminar Sept. 12: Kara Kelly, MD, professor of pediatrics, associate director division of pediatric hematology/oncology/stem cell at Columbia University Medical Center, will discuss, "Controversies in Hodgkin Lymphoma in Children and Adolescents: Updates from the Children’s Oncology Group,” at 2 p.m. in Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center S1.203.
- Molecular Genetics, Biochemistry and Microbiology Seminar Sept. 17: Kenneth Egan, senior radiation safety specialist, will speak at noon in MSB 3051.
UC Academic Health Center Public Relations and Communications Office
University Hall, Suite 620 | PO Box 670550 | Cincinnati, OH 45267-0550 | Phone: (513) 558-4553 [Call: (513) 558-4553] | Fax: (513) 558-2910 [Call: (513) 558-2910] | Web: www.healthnews.uc.edu | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org