|FEATURED: AHC News
Read Academic Health Center news in Featured, the weekly e-newsletter from the public relations office.
Sign up to receive it: firstname.lastname@example.org
|More Ways to Connect With Us
Melissa DelBello, MD
DelBello Named Chair of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neuroscience
Melissa DelBello, MD, has been selected to serve as the Dr. Stanley and Mickey Kaplan Professor and Chair of the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neuroscience. Her appointment is effective July 1 and is pending approval by the UC Board of Trustees.
DelBello replaces Stephen Strakowski, MD, who recently announced that he is stepping down as chair of the department in order to increase his time as senior vice president of strategy and transformation at UC Health.
DelBello joined the College of Medicine faculty in 2000 as an assistant professor of psychiatry and pediatrics. She has served in several leadership roles in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neuroscience, including vice chair of clinical research since 2007 and co-director of the Division of Bipolar Disorders Research since 2004.
A nationally recognized expert on child and adolescent mood disorders, she has lectured and published extensively on bipolar disorder and served as principal or co-investigator of several NIH grants.
›› Read more about DelBello online.
Karl Golnik, MD,
Golnik Appointed Interim Chair of Ophthalmology
Karl Golnik, MD, has been appointed interim chair of the UC Department of Ophthalmology effective July 1. James Augsburger, MD, will be stepping down as chair after leading the department for more than 15 years.
Golnik was appointed an assistant professor at the College of Medicine in 1995 and for the last nine years has held appointments in ophthalmology, neurology and rehabilitation medicine and neurosurgery.
Since 2003, he has served as the ophthalmology department’s vice chair and also directs the residency program.
The recipient of numerous teaching and ophthalmology awards, Golnik has made more than 630 scientific and medical presentations in the last 25 years.
›› Read more about Golnik online.
Board of Trustees Approve Chair, Emeriti Positions
At its June 23 meeting, the UC Board of Trustees officially approved the appointment of Margaret Hostetter, MD, as chair and Mary M. Emery (Rachford) Chair in Pediatrics, effective July 1 through Aug. 31, 2021.
It also extended the appointment of Andrew Filak, MD, as chair of the Department of Medical Education, effective Sept. 1, 2014, through Dec. 31, 2014.
The board also made the following emeriti appointments:
- Gary Dean, PhD, as associate professor emeritus of molecular genetics, biochemistry and microbiology.
- Richard Harris, MD, as adjunct professor emeritus of pediatrics.
- Linda Levin, PhD, as research associate professor emerita of environmental health.
- Roy McKay, PhD, as field service associate professor emeritus of environmental health.
- Howard Shertzer, PhD, as professor emeritus of environmental health.
Jun Ying, PhD
Ying Named Director of MPH Program
Jun Ying, PhD, associate professor of environmental health, has been appointed program director of the Master’s in Public Health Program in the Department of Environmental Health, effective immediately.
Ying came to UC in 2006 from the Indiana University School of Medicine and holds a PhD in statistics from the University of Connecticut. His research interests focus on applications of statistical methodologies in various medical research areas, recently applying parametric and non-parametric methods to classify patient populations.
In a memo announcing the change, department chair Shuk-Mei Ho, PhD, wrote: "I am delighted to name Dr. Jun Ying as the Program Director. Jun is well acquainted with the current program, being one of its original faculty, and has many ideas to strengthen the program and broaden its scope.”
Occupational Hygiene Students and Faculty Win Awards at Conference
Students and faculty from the Division of Environmental and Occupational Hygiene in the Department of Environmental Health received several awards at the recent American Industrial Hygiene Conference and Exposition in San Antonio, the largest annual gathering of industrial hygienists in North America.
The awards included:
- Best Poster Award—Risk Assessment: M. Deveau, D. Krewski, A. Maier, "Development and Application of a Framework for the Selection of an Appropriate Occupational Exposure Limit.”
- Best Poster Award – Nanotechnolog: J. Dietrich, M. Yermakov, P. Kulkarni, C. Qi, T. Reponen, S.A. Grinshpun, "Assessing the Protection Factor of Firefighters' Respirators Against Combustion Ultrafine Particles."
- Best Poster of Conference: S. Gao, S.A. Grinshpun, J.Y. Kim, M. Yermakov, X. He, Y. Elmashae, T. Reponen, "Performance of N95 FFR Filter and HVAC Filter Challenged with Combustion Aerosols.”
- John M. White Award for the Best Respiratory Protection Paper Published in 2013 in the Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene: X. He, M. Yermakov, T. Reponen, R.T. McKay, K. James, S.A. Grinshpun, "Manikin-Based Performance Evaluation of Elastomeric Respirators against Combustion Particles.”
- Best Poster Award - Incident Preparedness and Response: A. Mani, M.B. Rao, K. James, A. Aljaroudi, A. Bhattacharya, "Predictive Modeling Along With Pre-cooling Interventions Can Reduce Heat Stress in Firefighters."
Marilyn Schapira, MD, MPH
CCTST Grand Rounds July 18
The next CCTST Grand Rounds will be held from noon to 1 p.m. Friday, July 18, in MSB 3351.
Marilyn Schapira, MD, MPH, co-director of the Cancer Control and Outcomes Program at the Abramson Cancer Center, University of Pennsylvania, will discuss, "Communicating Scientific Evidence to Patients: Should Strategies be Tailored to Level of Health Numeracy?”
Lunch is available to CCTST members who email email@example.com by July 16.
Caleb Adler, MD
Adler Elected to 2nd Faculty Senate Term
Cal Adler, MD, professor of psychiatry and behavioral neuroscience, has been elected to serve a second two-year term as a College Medicine representative to the UC Faculty Senate.
Adler holds one of the two Faculty Senate positions set aside for the College of Medicine; the other (2013-15) is held by Robert Krikorian, PhD, also a faculty member in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neuroscience.
More information regarding the Faculty Senate can be found uc.edu/facultysenate.
Rec Center Offerings for Employees
The UC Employee Benefits and Wellness team has partnered with the Campus Recreation Center to provide faculty and staff with information about health and fitness offerings and training opportunities.
This summer, there are a variety of fitness classes for individuals at both the Campus Recreation Center and the Fitness Center at CARE/Crawley. For departments, the Campus Recreation Team Building program can offer exercises for both body and mind to bring teams closer together.
You can learn more about the Rec Center summer offerings or receive updates through the UC Wellness newsletter. To receive the newsletter, join the listserv by sending a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming Lectures and Seminars
- Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center Heart Institute Cody Lecture Series June 30: Bruce Gelb, MD, director of the Mindich Child Health and Development Institute at Mount Sinai School of Medicine, will present, "The genetics of congenital heart disease: The torch has been lit with the next generation,” at noon in the Heart Institute Conference Room, Location C, Room 4.343.
- Medical Grand Rounds July 2: Mark Eckman, MD, Posey Professor of Clinical Medicine, will present, "Bayes’ Rule at the Bedside: Probabilities, Test Characteristics, and the Interpretation of Diagnostic Test Results” at noon in MSB E-351.
- Transplant Division Grand Rounds July 8: Stephen Benoit, PhD, associate professor of psychiatry and behavioral neuroscience, will present, "Use of Electronic Databases to Assess Bariatric Surgery Outcomes,” at 4 p.m. in MSB 3051.
- Lucille & Smith Gibson Endowed Lecture in Dermatology July 24: Vera Price, MD, professor emerita of dermatology at the University of California San Francisco, will present, "Androgenic Alopecia & Cicatricial Alopecia: Update on Current Management,” at 10 a.m. in the Hoxworth Building, Heaton Conference Center, Room G344.
University Hall, Suite 620 | PO Box 670550 | Cincinnati, OH 45267-0550 | Phone: 513-558-4553Call: 513-558-4553 | Fax: (513) 558-2910Call: (513) 558-2910 | Web: www.healthnews.uc.edu
| Email: email@example.com