Excellence in Mentoring Nominations Open
Published April 2011
Nominations are open for the Award for Excellence in Mentoring of Doctoral Students, created to honor individuals whose mentoring of doctoral students is exceptional.
Nominations will be accepted from faculty, former and current students and staff. The Doctoral Mentoring Award will be presented at the Doctoral Hooding and Masters Recognition Ceremony in June. The award will include an honorarium of $1,500.
The Doctoral Mentoring Award recognizes outstanding and sustained guidance and support of students as they move through the process of becoming experts in their chosen fields. Past winners of the award have had a clear and convincing history of successfully guiding the professional development of doctoral students, and a distinguished record of supervising students who have gone on to make significant contributions to their fields. Former and current students should acknowledge the important contribution of the nominee to their career development.
Nomination materials should include:
· Letter of nomination articulating the merits of the nominee’s record
· A listing of all former and current students including the current positions of former students
· Letters of support for the nomination from students and colleagues including at least two letters from former students
A distinguished faculty committee will review the application materials using the following criteria:
· Evidence of sustained and active mentoring of students over time
· Professional productivity of students as reflected in student records of scholarly and creative works
· Ability of the mentor to both intellectually challenge and support students
· Evidence that the mentor supports students both professionally and personally in the classroom, laboratory and beyond
· Evidence for high standards of scholarly, professional and personal ethics
· Ability to encourage students to work toward independence as scholars and professionals
· Evidence for helping students obtain the resources they need to succeed including help with placement following graduation
Deadline for nominations is 5 p.m. Friday, May 6. The nomination packet will only be accepted electronically as one single PDF document.
Scan all documents as one single PDF in the order listed above and submit completed application via CD to Megan Carroll (ML 0627 110 Van Wormer Hall) or as an email attachment to email@example.com.