CINCINNATI—Over a century ago, famed Cincinnati architect Samuel Hannaford (1835–1911) is quoted as saying: "When we build, let us think that we build forever. Let it not be for pleasant delight, nor for present use alone.”
And at 3 p.m. on Thursday, Sept 14, the University of Cincinnati will honor that statement with a public ribbon cutting and open house to celebrate the modernization of a historic Hannaford and Sons structure: Kowalewski Hall, home to the James L. Winkle College of Pharmacy, which has been transformed into a technology rich environment, designed to provide student learners with the skill set necessary for a successful career in 21st century pharmacy.
"These changes allow our students to have access to cutting-edge facilities, great learning environments and is a space they can be proud to call home,” said Neil MacKinnon, PhD, dean of the college.
MacKinnon, along with UC president Neville Pinto, will welcome students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends of the college at the event.
Renovations began in 2015 and totaled more than $34 million, with $20.9 million coming from state capital funding.
The 118,500 square foot building was originally home to the Miami-Ohio Medical College, now the UC College of Medicine, when it opened in 1918. It later became known as the Health Professions Building (HPB), housing several departments from the College of Medicine, and eventually became home to the College of Pharmacy in 1976. The college renamed the building Kowalewski Hall in 2015, after a beloved former dean: Joseph F. Kowalewski ("Dean Joe”) who served as dean from 1949-1970.
There are new laboratories, new classrooms, a new auditorium, spaces to facilitate faculty-student interactions, new heating, ventilation, air condition and plumbing systems, upgraded electrical and lighting systems and all the windows replaced. Wherry Hall, attached to the south wing of HPB, was demolished. To heal the scars from this demolition and provide much-needed student study and gathering spaces, a small three-story glass-enclosed addition faces a new lawn, facing south.
As technology upgrades were a priority, the redesign included the installation of advanced computer hardware/software and audio-visual equipment—backed by superior IT support. For example, the college recently received a $94,000 UC Provost Technology Innovation Award to further develop a custom-built application called Skilluate. The application, already in place here and being primed for use at other UC colleges, integrates recording video sessions with online evaluations tied to them. The online evaluations replaced thousands of paper evaluations. The college set up 12 recording stations in two unique lab environments to capture patient counseling sessions along with sterile compounding sessions. In addition, the college found a use for the online evaluation tool while evaluating students during poster presentations.
Kowalewski Hall is the latest project in the Medical Campus Master Plan, which is a $480 million phased project that includes both new construction and renovation of existing Academic Health Center buildings. The first phase, which included the CARE/Crawley Building, was completed in 2008. Subsequent phases include renovations to Procter Hall, Kettering Lab Complex and the Medical Sciences Building. Construction is now ongoing for the Health Sciences Building, a $98 million building that will house the UC College of Allied Health Sciences.